What do you give the father who has everything? Many of us are pondering that question; in many countries, Fathers Day is June 17. While ties and power tools may be practical, they probably dont speak to Dads real interests, hobbies, and passions.This year, consider introducing him to the world of rare books or expanding his personal library with a thoughtful addition.
Choosing the Perfect Rare Book
When most people think of rare books, they imagine age-old tomes preserved under glass in a special collections library. Certainly this is true sometimes, but the reality is that rare books are beautiful, fascinating objects that we can enjoy daily. Before choosing a rare book as a Fathers Day gift, consider your fathers interests:
- Outdoor hobbies and sports, such as fishing and golf
- Pop culture favoritesthink James Bond or classic rock n roll bands
- Academic subject areas of interest like astronomy, history, or medicine
- Favorite authors and illustrators
- Role models or famous people who have provided inspiration
You can also look to Dads bookshelf for ideas. First editions or fine press editions of favorite books are always excellent choices.
- Dads who prefer literary classics will enjoy limited editions of perennial favorites, such as the Centipede Press edition of Frankenstein.
- The Limited Deluxe Edition of Harold Pinters The Disappeared and Other Poems is a lovely work for someone interested in Pinter, poetry, or the book as art form.
- Sci-fi aficionados gravitate toward books like this review copy of Isaac Asimovs I, Robot.
- History and Americana buffs will treasure the firelogs of Engine Company 45 from January 5, 1889 to April 1, 1889.
- Armchair adventurers often appreciate tales of polar expeditions like a signed first edition of Sir Edmund Hillarys No Latitude for Error.
- Father's Day celebrates generations of fatherhood. Honor your grandfather with a signed first edition of Buying a Fishing Rod for My Grandfather.
If youd like help selecting a rare book for Fathers Day, please contact us! Were happy to help you find the ideal item for the dad on your list.