During the intervening decades, Tibet did not gain independence, but the tiny region did gain additional sovereignty. The Dalai Lama has been a critical figure in this transition. Meanwhile, hes also played a central role in carrying the message of peace and hope around the world.
Dalai Lama as Author
In addition to traveling the globe, the Dalai Lama has spread his message through the written word. Heres a partial bibliography; youll find several of these titles among our new arrivals:
- My Land and My People (1962)
- The Opening Of The Wisdom-Eye And The History Of The Advancement Of Buddhadharma In Tibet (1972)
- My Tibet (1990)
- Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama (1990)
- Tibetan Portrait: The Power of Compassion (1996)
- Ethics for the New Millennium (1999)
- An Open Heart (2001)
- How to Practice the Way to a Meaningful Life (2002)
Intriguing History and TraditionThe relative obscurity and intricacy of Tibetan culture have long fascinated the Western world. Austrian mountaineer Harold Harrers Seven Years in Tibetdocuments his days in Tibet from 1944 to 1951. The book was so popular that it was made into a 1997 film starring Brad Pitt. Numerous mountaineers and adventurers have also chronicled their expeditions through Tibet with Sherpa guides.
For the rare book collector, the Dalai Lamas books and books about Tibet offer an incredible glimpse into a history, culture, and tradition that still holds untold mystery.